I haven't posted in a while, I am carving Christmas gifts and don't want family members to sneak a peek. I have been carving some for sales, and here are a few. These are carved from cottonwood bark and painted with thinned acrylics sealed with matte polyurethane.
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Friday, November 24, 2017
This was our first time selling at this event. It is held at one of the local high schools and had over 150 vendors. All the vendors had to sell only handcrafted items, which was nice. The place was packed all day long and sales were great. We will definitely be back next year.
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
Here's fairly easy and cute ornament for the holidays. It is from a pattern by Betty Padden. I even used her painting technique. The painting actual makes the carving. These step by step photos are self explanatory. I start with a 1"x 1" by 6" basswood block. I used a knife and a v-tool. I painted the ornament with acrylics and sealed it with a coat of matte varnish.
Monday, October 9, 2017
Northland Woodcarvers club recently held a carve-in at the Claycomo Mid-Continent Library. Seven members were at the carve-in on Saturday. We had a good time demonstrating and answering visitors questions. Also, met a few potential new members. Carve-In demonstrations are a great way to grow your club. We find there are people interested in woodcarving, but don't know where to start. Our club demonstrates at the local nature sanctuary once a month, and usually two libraries a year.
Friday, October 6, 2017
I carved another Santa rolling pin. This vintage pin is pine, and was a little easier to carve than the first three. These are for display only and seem to be a good seller. I sold two the first day I posted them. I used thinned acrylic paints and sealed with polyurethane.
Thursday, October 5, 2017
This one has been on the carving bench for a long time. I started on him in July while at Shoal Creek. I've worked on him off and on between other projects. I finished him with a coat of polyurethane, wiping off the excess before drying. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.