Saturday, July 14, 2018

Christmas in July 2018

I'll be in Blue Springs on July 28. Come on out and get your Christmas shopping started early! 

Christmas in July

 · Hosted by KC Local
  • Saturday, July 28 at 10 AM - 4 PM
  • 100 NE Brizendine Rd LOWER LEVEL
Boy Scout Troop 310 in Grain Valley is having a Christmas in July Craft and Vendor Fair Fundraiser! Location is the Elks Lodge in Blue Springs, LOWER LEVEL.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone there!!

Aprons with Bonnie Dean
Barb's Bath (Barbara Lehane)
Bella B Leather Earrings (Anna Inman)
Blueprint Marketing (Bemer - Ed Thomas)
Caffeine Hub ft. Java Mama (Jennifer Woodall)
Cassie & Kayla Lasher
CatSan Crafts (Cathy Sanderson)
Catsanova Crafts (Karen Buss)
Cocoa Exchange (Rebecca Graham)
Color Street (Cindy Stephens)
Crafty Creations by Eileen (Eileen Goetz)
Deco Hearts (Glenda Werst)
Devine Designs by DeDe LLC (Lawana Pulling)
Handmade By Wendy Dopp
Heartland Gifts & Crafts (Gail Orth-Aikmus)
Isabella's Baubles (Jody Wells)
It Works Global (Kim Bickham)
Jayelle Candles (Jeannette Lounsberry)
Knotty Wood Spirit Carvings (Randy George)
LaTeDa Beads (Paula Loe)
Norwex (Deena Kerschner)
Nowlin Yarn Creations (Denise Denison Nowlin)
Ozark Country Snowmen (Wrenda McKnight)
Pam's $5 Pizzazz (Paparazzi with Pam Burnham)
Piphany (The Wright Boutique - Jennifer Wright)
Princess Gear Hair Accessories (Joedi Manning)
Sassy Senses LLC (Julie Collins)
Scentsy (Ruth Ewart)
Seasonal Home D├ęcor (Becky Arnzen)
Senegence (Candyss Camarda)
Susan Miller
Thirty-One Gifts (Christine Poynter)
TKB Creations (Kelley Byram)
Toni's Towels (Toni Erickson)
Usbourne Books (Kimberly Macht)
Yarn Monster by KC (Kayla Monroe)

Applying a Matte Finish to Cottonwood Bark

I use several finishes on cottonwood bark Deft lacquer, Howard Feed-N-Wax and even boot polish. Lately I'm using a water based matte varnish from Americana. I really like this product. It's easy and quick to apply and does not leave a shine on the carving. It's important to remove all the dust before applying any finish. I brush off the dust and then use a dry paper towel to wipe off the fine dust. I apply a light coat and do not allow it to puddle. Use a detail brush to pull the excess out of the detailed areas. I only use one coat and buff, when dry, with a crumpled paper sack if needed. As you see in the photos, when you apply the varnish it really darkens the bark and looks shiny. Fear not, it dries quickly, the bark lightens up and shine subsides. Hope this helps with your bark carvings, and thanks for following along!

Friday, July 6, 2018

Rose Brooch

If you follow along, you might remember a cameo brooch from a couple of years ago. Here's a link in case you missed it Cameo Brooch. I have been asked to come up with another brooch, this one with a rose. Here is the result. Carved from butternut, it measures 2 1/2" x 2". I attached the pin clasp with two part epoxy. Applied three light coats of Deft Satin lacquer and finished with a coat of Howard Feed-N-Wax. I really like the grain in this piece.

Shoal Creek First Saturday

 Reminder- I"ll be at Shoal Creek this Saturday July 7, 1876. Come on out, and travel back in time!

Monday, June 25, 2018

Shoal Creek June 2018

The start of a new season at Shoal Creek Living History Museum. This is my third year, and it gets better every year. The day started with a view of turkeys on the drive in and a look at the bison on the way home. In between was full of  answering questions of visitors, catching up with old friends, laughter, and a few shoot-outs. All in all, a great day.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Black Cherry

I came across some fresh cut black cherry. I removed the bark with a draw knife and sealed the ends with Anchor Seal. Hopefully that will let the moisture out the sides of the logs and keep the ends from splitting. To completely air dry takes a year per inch of diameter. I will probably try carving some of this green. Stay tuned.

Green Man

He is an original one of kind piece, hand carved from a piece of North Dakota cottonwood bark. He measures 10" in length and 4" at the widest point. This piece of bark was over 2" thick before carving. 

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Cherry Pie Rolling Pin

A commissioned piece I just finished, a maple rolling pin. This originally belonged to the customers mother. They wanted a tribute to her, and said she loved making cherry pies. I also carved her name on the other side.

There was a brand name on one end of the roller, Munising.  With a little research on the internet, I discovered Munising Wood Products existed from 1917 - 1955 and was located in Munising, Michigan. They created kitchen wooden ware and advertised their products would last a lifetime.. The rolling pins were made from 'Selected Northern Rock Hard Maple'. Believe me when I say this was not an overstatement!

I started with a quick sketch and transferred that to the rolling pin. I used my Automach and Ryobi power carvers to rough in the design and finished with hand tools. Added color with thinned acrylic paints. The painted areas were sealed with a water based polyurethane, I fine sanded the other areas and applied a coat of Howard's Feed-N-Wax.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Nose

Now for something different. I was was commissioned to carve a nose, just a nose. The customer had a small "stress ball" nose he wanted carved double in size. I decided on a piece of butternut I had, from Tennessee. I used my band saw to cut the front and profile. I then used a mallet and large gouges to shape the nose. I switched to smaller hand gouges to carve it smooth. I usually don't sand my carvings, I prefer the hand tooled look. However, this carving just calls for a smooth finish. So, I hand sanded beginning with 150 grit. Switching to 220 grit and finishing with 320 grit. Three hand rubbed coats of satin polyurethane made the grain pop. I finished it off with a coat of Howard Feed-N-Wax. I think it turned out great, and the customer loved it!