Thursday, February 13, 2020

Brothers

I've had this large piece of North Dakota Cottonwood bark for a couple of years, I finally decided to see who was trapped inside. It measures 28" in length, 3 1/2"-4 1/2" wide and 3" thick. When I start a new project I plan to take step by step photos and show the process of creating a carving. Usually once I start carving, I get in the zone and forget. That's the case with the Native American. I pretty much had him roughed in before taking the first photo. I was more aware with the mountain man, and probably took too many photos. But hopefully these will help some of you, just getting started with carving, understand the process. I start by roughing in the basic shapes, paying attention to height, width, depth, position and bone structure. I'll then refine the areas of the carving shaping the nose, eyes, mouth etc. I work over the entire carving, not completing one area. I want to be able to adjust the carving if needed. Finally adding the details, this is the fun part. Don't rush into detailing, make sure the carving is in proper proportion. I detail the eyes last, that is when the carving comes to life. This piece is titled "Brothers".




































1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your information. I am very excited all about wooden carving. I really appreciate this content. Good job. sourcing-asia

    ReplyDelete