Monday, January 6, 2014

First Carving of 2014

Winter is here, it was -10 degrees Fahrenheit this morning and only reached 4 degrees above for a high. Brrrrrr! A good day to stay in and carve. I started this realistic bust on Jan. 2, I took pics along the way to show progression of the carving. Hope you enjoy!

I start by band sawing the blank from a basswood block, and begin rounding off corners.

     



Next I carve the basic face structure and lay out the hair line. I remove wood from the back of the carving.




After drawing in the upper eyelid, I carve it with a small u-gouge. 


Then the same with the lower eyelid. Being careful not to make the eyes too large, a common problem with carvings.



Round the eyeball with detail knife and take a small wedge out of both corners of each eye. Carve in a bag under each eye. More detail to come later.




Rough in the dental mound and carve the mouth.




I have started to rough in the fur wrapped braids and separate the carving from the base.




No comments:

Post a Comment