Saturday, July 14, 2018

Applying a Matte Finish to Cottonwood Bark

I use several finishes on cottonwood bark Deft lacquer, Howard Feed-N-Wax and even boot polish. Lately I'm using a water based matte varnish from Americana. I really like this product. It's easy and quick to apply and does not leave a shine on the carving. It's important to remove all the dust before applying any finish. I brush off the dust and then use a dry paper towel to wipe off the fine dust. I apply a light coat and do not allow it to puddle. Use a detail brush to pull the excess out of the detailed areas. I only use one coat and buff, when dry, with a crumpled paper sack if needed. As you see in the photos, when you apply the varnish it really darkens the bark and looks shiny. Fear not, it dries quickly, the bark lightens up and shine subsides. Hope this helps with your bark carvings, and thanks for following along!










No comments:

Post a Comment