Friday, September 14, 2018

Cutting Ornament Blanks

I carve a lot of Christmas ornaments, mostly using the 'carving on the corner' technique. I am always asked how I cut the blanks. I use a jig I made out of scrap wood I had around the shop. I started by cutting a piece of 3/8" plywood to the length of my saw table, and screwing a cleat to one end. I then made a cut in the center of the plywood until the cleat met the saw table. I cross cut a 2" x 4" at 45 degrees on my miter saw and glued them to the plywood, this will be the cradle that holds the board while sawing. After the glue has dried, I attach the jig to the table by clamping the cleat to the table. I am cutting a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square board, but it will work on any size that will fit through your saw. Feed the board across the jig to cut the board diagonally. I have a fence set up and cut each blank to the desired length of the blank. This technique is accurate, fast and easy. Now on to carving ornaments.....












No comments:

Post a Comment